Welcome To: The Duncil Family Blog!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Claira's Birth Story

I know I have a ton of catching up to do, so we will start with this:
Some are curious and have asked how our Claira's Birthday went so I figured I would share what I can remember, go ahead and skip over if anything is TMI!


"Where's the baby at?"


Claira Grace


We actually had to be induced with this one! I pretty much ended up BEGGING for an induction at 41 weeks as we were in the middle of a record heat wave, no A/C, and moving the same week! The day before I went to the hospital it was 103 degree's out, we ended up "visiting" the grocery store for some relief from the heat, it was one of the most awful things I have ever been through, but we made it!



What a set of pipes!

Turns out I was already contracting on my own every 5-7 minutes (I couldn't help saying I told you so!) I knew I had been in labor that whole flippin week with pretty painful contractions, but for some reason or another they would get stronger, longer, closer together, and then STOP. Ugh! So I had this inkling that something was wrong or I just needed some help, but every time I voiced my concern to the Dr. he would just blow it off as "she's just really pregnant" "yes, it's Braxton Hicks" "your body is preparing its self for labor..." blah....anyway, I wish I would have trusted my intuition more, but more on that later...



Shes finally gaining color, thanks to the nurses!

We started the pitocin and everything was moving along nicely for several hours, I felt great (the contractions were even less painful than the ones I was having at home) I was so happy because this birth experience was so much more relaxing than the last. No running around in labor, doing paperwork in labor...etc...I got the wonderful idea of walking around to get things moving along a bit faster and WHAM, Holy heck I started having contractions one right after another that I thought was going to rip me in half, so I called for the epidural, and fast, thank goodness I wasn't yet in the hallway when that happened! The Epi came...and never worked! What the HECK?! Where was the pain relief?! Why am I being ripped off here?! You mean I have to FEEL having a BABY?! I never asked for that!!! Apparently it was in the wrong space, or it didn't hit the right nerves, but I felt everything still, the only change was that I now how a catheter (which I didn't need because I could still feel that kind of urge on my own), a numb right foot, and an expensive anesthesiologist bill. So here I am trying to pick my brain and remember any kind of pain relief techniques I may have read about natural labor. The nurses were nice but the only advice I got was "it won't be long and then you won't remember" ...thanks. I lost "it" a couple times..."it" being my mind, I cried, a lot, when asked if I was crying because of the pain I nodded and added "also because I know there is another contraction coming". Thank god the Dr. came in to check on me, I was putting all my hopes on him, he smiled at me and my water broke....


.....if you've ever felt a contraction after your water breaks,then you know. Things went fast, he got scrubbed up for a c-section because Claira's little heartbeat wasn't beating during my contractions even after being flipped like a pancake a million times, then, after turning down the pitocin and an hour or two, I just felt "done" and said "Holy heck, I have to PUSH NOW!" The Dr. ran in, I begged him to let me push, he wouldn't let me until they had his table ready....ugh...is all I remember thinking, just... ugh... then I looked up at the clock and told Brad to note what time it was, it was 9:29pm, 1 minute after Ella was born, I don't know why I thought this was amazing but It was to me then and I pushed even if they didn't want me to 3 pushes and Claira Grace was born 9:30pm on July 30th, 2009.


Come to find out the cord was tight and wrapped around her neck and right shoulder, she was a scary blue color and not breathing. It was the scariest couple of minutes, but, the nurses were right on top of it and got her all pink and healthy again! ;) She weighted 7lbs 14oz and 18 inches long! I cried so much afterwards and apologized to anyone that would hear me, just for being a total monster! Apparently no one thought I was and all the nurses on my floor were pulling for me because of the lack of epidural. The Dr said I did "awesome! so great!" I wanted to yell "yeah, no thanks to you!" Haha.





Nana Robin

Grandma Liessa





Aunt Aleshia


Claira was such a little sweetie right off the bat. Nursing was very important to me this time and I was every adamant about doing it within the first hour after birth and boy was she hungry! She nursed like a pro for over an hour! Family were even waiting in the waiting room to see her and she made everyone wait, just like she made me wait to meet her! ;)




Grandpa Mark


Claira's First Bath


She loved to be held especially by me and looking at faces would occupy her awake time. I couldn't wait to take her home! Ella came to visit with my parents and she was pretty interested until Daddy would hold Claira, she is very possessive of her daddy! ;) I missed Ella so much and was so happy to see her! I felt so awesome and couldn't wait to get out of bed and go home! The only thing that was stopping me was my numb right foot, the only pain relief I got....damn it.


Claira and Big Sister Ella Meet


Clairas First Hours


Actually, looking back on that day im sort of glad that the epidural didn't work as it should have. I got to experience everything, the feeling of the contractions, my water breaking, my body at work, and Claira coming out into the world. If there ever is a next time, you better believe im getting a dang epidural...I wonder if they have 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back? Oh yeah, please excuse the whining.. ;)

No comments: